Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sun., Aug. 15, 2010: Eleven-mile bike ride along Hudson River Parkway (bikeway)


My hope is to connect with other Spartanista Vegans in a spirit of self improvement.

In my personal life, I try to schedule time for regeneration. Nearly always, those times take place at Hudson River Park, witch includes a bike trail all along the Hudson. Discovering this place was a great day in my life. I even marked the day with an exuberant entry to my voice-recorder diary I keep (more on that later).

I love to hang out at Pier 45. Lately, I've discovered bike paths (concrete) higher up on the island's (Manhatan's) west-side bikeway.

Two hi-tech gadgets/programs have come into my life recently: One, a Blackberry smart phone; Two, Endomondo.com. The first allows me to listen to TalkingStickTV.com on YouTube while I'm out at about (riding my bike). The second allows me to plot my bike rides and even schedule events with which others can join me.

I just scheduled my first event at:
http://www.endomondo.com/event?e=tfn32ZXRyNQ

TITLE:
Cycling along Hudson River Park—Aug 15, 2010 | 11:00 AM | 11.61 miles

DESCRIPTION:
Easy biking along Hudson River Park, from the Staten Island Ferry to George Washington Bridge.

We will be on bicycle-designated concrete trails practically the whole time.

We will stop upon consensus as many times at we like.

DATE: Sunday, August 15, 2010.

START TIME: 11 a.m.

END TIME: 5:00 p.m.

MEET AT: Staten Island Ferry entrance, Lower Manhattan

Call join/rejoin the group if you get separated from us: 212-966-2060, cell.

I did much of this route on Monday evening (Aug. 9, 2010). I tracked my ride with Endomondo, and I listened to a fascinating YouTube interview at the same time. If you can do it, at least track your ride with Endomondo. You'll need a smart phone (w/GPS) for that... It's fun to hear the voice come in to tell you (1) how far you've gone so far, (2) how long the ride is estimated to take (given your mileage goal), and
(3) what your lap time average is. (Lap time, I assume is the time it takes you to ride a mile.)

... Pamela R.