Saturday, January 5, 2013

Still battling the toxic waste dump that is the U.S.A.

The last time I posted to this blog was over 3 years ago. There are a few reasons for that, some not at all legitimate, I do admit. This blog should be a number one passion of mine. I should have shed every time-waster pasttime that dared to clutter my life in order to keep this blog fresh. But I didn't.

What other spartanista-vegan struggles have I failed at?

I wonder all the time whether I should blame myself or blame some outside force for not becoming the person I would wish to be. Nurture, nature, you know, that whole debate.

This blog is all about identifying the pitfalls of the society we live within as well as the pitfalls of our most intimate inclinations, many not so pretty. It seems that the pitfalls are winning in my case in a lot of ways. And to mix metaphores, perhaps, their forces are strong, not unlike going up against an avalanche.

I've always gravitated to those explanations for things that get to the crux of the issue at hand. I'm always on the hunt for that. Lately, it appears that I've truly gone all the way down the rabbit hole, facing down my own failures and the failures of the institutions all around me, also. And I now consider the United States of America to be nothing short of a toxic waste dump, as it were, and that every step a person takes within this country's sovereign borders is a potential land mine.

At every turn there is something to distract us, addict us, make us hate ourselves later. Each of us, and I include myself here, is suseptible to these things, because society has been stripped of everything we actually need and want. So we browse aimlessly kind of looking looking for something to fill up the great void.

So, we have pitfalls and avalanches and waste dumps. And with so many traps, headwinds, and hazards, how can a person hold up? Can I? Oh, I am trying. But not doing a very good job.

Indeed, the U.S.A. is an "unsustainabubble." I made up this term to emphasize, no, overemphasize, the dilemma we all live within: that is, in essence, in nearly all ways, our nation is taking in more than it is giving back. In our psychic void, we take, take, take and don't give, give, give. Replenishment in all forms—money, natural resources, pychic energy—is not taking place, thanks to the common wisdom, the going mythology, the ethereal propaganda in our midst. And if you retrace the labyrinthine path that got us here, you will almost always discover that with nearly all things that we Americans do, someone somewhere is getting rich off of it. And, we are emptying our pockets mostly just to solve problems we shouldn't have in the first place.

And so the excess continues, the party plays on, caution is sent to the wind. The U.S.A. is the land of postponed consequences. Enjoy today, escape today, don't think about tomorrow.

And I've bought in in a lot of ways; resistance has apparently been futile. And now I feel like I'm an animal caught in a leg-hold trap. Should I chew off my leg and survive (physically, psychic-ly), or should I accept my demise?

Then again, must survival require pain and loss at all? I'm a person with free will, aren't I? The question at hand, every day, every moment, must be: can I muster the strength and courage to use my brain and determination to negotiate the pitfalls, the avalanches, and the toxic waste dumps that are all around me. And escape to freedom.